Monday, June 07, 2010

My UFO list

Sit down when you read this because the list is very long. I think I shall stop calling myself a quilter and start telling people I am a "piecer". I just can't get through the final step of quilting the tops! I get to a point in the project where I am easily distracted with other projects. Ones that are prettier, faster, or I want to learn a new technique.

The list is broken down into categories: almost done (minimal work to be done before adding label), tops done, tops almost done, in-progress as "leaders & enders", kits (either purchased or made by me), PIGS (projects in grocery sacks), & WHIMM's (work hidden in my mind).

Almost Done:
Scrappy Irish Chain. I need to finish machine quilting a few more of the squares in the ditch, add the binding and add a label.

Tops Done:
Antique Tile
Purple Row Robin
Reversible Sport Nut
County Lines (a)
Strip Cocktail
Windmill
Sunflower
Card Trick
Star Round Robin
Color Explosion
Christmas Mountain Majesties
BQ
Egyptian
Boxed in
Poppy's baby quilt.

Tops Almost Done:
Scrappy Cross Roads
Gordian Knot
Jungle Kaleidoscope

In Progress:
Blue Ridge Beauty
Crumbs
Zodiac
Whacky Waves
String
Asian nightmare

Kits:
Outdoorsey
maple leaf
snowball
town square
wine country
medallion stars
Flag
Simply Strips
County Lines (b)
Yukata Cut it
Bento Box in Batiks
beaches
carpenter's wheel
catnap
woodsy

PIGS:
Christmas Mystery
Baby 9patch pizzaz

WHIMM's:
native american panel
underwater
fishbowl

OMG!! That is waaaaaay too many projects for one person. If you would like to help me get these down to a manageable stack, let me know.... I propbably will be donating some of the tops to our quilting group for charity. Even if I finished one quilt every other month, that would take me almost eight years! Repeat after me....do not buy any more fabric for a new project
do not buy any more fabric for a new project
do not buy any more fabric for a new project
do not buy any more fabric for a new project


really?? but I wannnaaaaa.

off to get the top on the frame for quilting. We are having a quilt show in August and I should have something to show.
B-

14 comments:

J Barham said...

I think a lot of quilters are in the same boat as you are. I listed my UFO's this year, but haven't counted them. That would be too overwhelming! It was brave of you to list them and count them, also.
On Stashbusters Yahoo Group, they have a plan called the Fab Four. It may be useful if that is the way you work. I have found it useful, and I finished 6 UFO's this year, so far. However, I have had to lay aside my Fab Four list for awhile as there are new quilts that are for graduates that I need to start and finish quickly.
I'll look forward to you sharing how and how many you finish this year, 2010.
Joyce.

Crafty Maine Mom said...

I currently have 7 tops finished and the backings pieced waiting to go to the long armer because I too love to piece but don't love the quilting quite as much. That's not to say that I don't have two quilts in varyingstages of being hand quilted (2 is enough) the rest go to the LAer

Brenda said...

Joyce,
I belong to three groups that have UFO incentive challenges and have finished up five quilts already this year! I am on my way to getting them all finished!

Brenda said...

Crafty,
I am going to hand quilt another quilt this fall...too hot in the summer. Keep up the good work!

Michele said...

Wow! How brave of you! I tried making a list about two years ago and found I just kept adding to it instead of finishing anything on it. LOL! Good luck.

Winter said...

I wish you luck on finishing your UFO's. I had Quilt tops all over the place and I finally decided to just clean out of my place, the stuff I have no need for. When it came to my tops I took a good long look at them and decided what i would never finish and what I would. The ones I would never finish I gave away to the local second hand store . They were able to sell them to someone that would finish and love them.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

45 is not that big a number! It is simply an indication of your creativity!! I am sure you will get these done and start just as many more - and that is how it should be! Enjoy!
Hugs,
Kerry

Lynn Dykstra said...

Let us cut the list right now by taking the completed tops off of the list. They might not be finished quilts, but the are finished projects. Should you want to quilt them in the future, then they move over to the new project list.
Now, doesn't that feel better?

Sherry said...

Like you I have many UFO's becaue I
can't get past the fear of messing
them up when I quilt them. I am a
newbie and the actual quiling intimidates me. I'm very interested in some of your quilts. The Celtic
Knot, The Egyptian and the Zodiac
especially. Do you have pics or can
you tell me where to purchase the patterns? I you have any to send out,
I'll be glad to take them. LOL
Sherry in NC

Quilter Kathy said...

Very brave of you to post a list!
I just set little goals to accomplish and celebrate that!
My list would be too overwhelming for me!
I have posted some of my UFO wishes on my blog, but other than that, I just enjoy myself!

Judy D in WA said...

Welcome back to blogland! Hope you stick around for a while. ;-)
I have a Focus on Four list. When I get one thing crossed off, I add another. It could be just the current BOM but it helps me to stay on track. DD2 says I'm like Dorie in Finding Nemo, I see something shiny and I'm off on a new adventure. Your list isn't that bad. I'm afraid to post mine.

JudyCinNC said...

I really admire your bravery and truthfullness - I would be afraid of "censorship". HeHe I did record mine in my personal journal notebook and I absolutely love marking things off. I have over 50 items on my list and sometimes wonder if I have enough "life left". I work on it everyday I will not buy any more kits.

Robin said...

Just found your blog via the quiltville chat site. I listed all of my ufo's a few year back and the list was huge. I didn't even list the WHMM, kits, or BOMs. I was working as an assitant for retreats for a quilt shop. I decided to use that time to work on finishing the tops and making bindings and backs for eath one. Then when I could afford it I would have them ready for machine quilting. It worked really well and I whittled down my pile. Not the shop has closed, my machine quilter retired and the list is growing again!
Robin in Kelso, WA

Helen in the UK said...

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of projects in progress!!! I highly recommend the Stashbusters Yahoo Group for encouraging anyone trying to cut down their UFO list. Good luck with your progress ... I see several 'Bonnie' patterns listed, so I'm sure you'll keep those of us on Quiltville updated :)