Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Being accountable for my addiction......

When I was a child, I had many stuffed animals. At night I had to sleep with each and every one of them. I would stretch my arms straight out while laying in bed. My mom would lay each stuffed animal on my arms. I loved those stuffed animals/friends! When it came time to "grow up" and get rid of these stuffed animals I cried for days. I couldn't get rid of all of them. I still have one or two....I am nearing 50 and I still have some of those stuffed animals.... I guess I have turned my need to have my "friends" near me to the quilt tops that keep accumulating in my UFO pile. I have realized (this morning in the wee hours) that I know that if (& when) I finish these up and get them quilted I will probably give them away or sell them and that is why I can't get myself to finish them up. What an epiphany! This makes me sad....

I received a lot of encouragement from yesterday's post. Most women are in awe that I have that many UFO's, and some even confessed to having more UFO's than I do! WOW. Some suggestions are to post pictures of the progress of the UFO's. I will take some pics this weekend.

Another suggestion was not to cut myself off of new projects completely, but give myself a reward for finishing up, say 5, quilts, then I get to start a new quilt. This might work, but I really think that I will modify it by saying if I finish 5 quilts (quilted, bound and labeled) I get to work on one of the kits I have laying around. I just can't justify buying more fabric when I have those kits just sitting there. I will feel a lot better about getting these UFO's finished!

Today I spent 20 minutes sewing 1.5 inch squares together to make the border for my Scrappy Crossroads top. I will need 775 1.5 inch square for the border....this is very boring for me so I have to be diligent in my efforts to finish this up. I just zone out and go to my virtual vacation spot and just sew. It is sometimes better than meditation.

Off to work now.......

No comments: