Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Kitties for Kari

One of my dear friends' 19 year old daughter has a nickname of Kat. She had a cat named Myst. Myst recently passed away. I started making this quilt for Kari ("Kat") last year. The blocks are from a Yahoo! groups (Prettykittyblockswap). The swap is handled this way. I made 6 identical kitty blocks that were 6.5 inches unfinished; I kept 1 and sent in 5. I, then in return, received 5 different blocks from women (& men) all over the world. There are kitty blocks in this quilt from Australia, New Zealand, England and of course the US!!
Once I laid them out without the borders, it wasn't big enough, so I added borders. All the borders are of fabric with kitties on them. Even the outermost border has cats on it. This picture was taken before I quilted it. I have since tied the quilt (the ties look like whiskers, in fact). Now all that is left is the binding and label. I have named this quilt "Kitties for Kari: in memory of Myst".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the quilt